Sunday, April 3, 2011

History

I thought I could write about something else than the current game I'm playing for a change, so here's a little story how I ended up where I am now. We are talking about video games of course. I split the story in four parts and will publish the parts during the coming week.

Part 1:


The first time I got my hands on games was at the late 80's I think. My parents rented a Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) from some local shop. After that there was no turning back. The renting time was 24 hours so I think me and my little brother didn't sleep at all that night. My folks didn't rent it very often, against our wishes, so it was always so cool when they did. Too bad I don't remember any games we played, but I could guess Super Mario was one.


You are now hearing the music in your head.


Couple years after that came the big day when we finally got our own NES. Oh man, I was probably the happiest kid in the whole world that day. I think the only game that came with the console was the one and only Super Mario Bros. During next few weeks/months there were "few" arguments about who can use the television (we only had one).


Because we lived in a really small town there wasn't any place to buy new games. So whenever we visited some bigger city we got a new game. The way to choose a new game was quite different at the time. I looked at different covers and chose the one which seemed most cool. And yes, we did got some sucky games with that method. But there were so many good ones it's useless to complain. Super Mario Bros. 3, Double Dragons, Blades of Steel, Contra, Excitebike, Mega Mans, Snake Rattle 'n' Roll and many more. So many good memories there. *sigh*


It's nice to remember what gaming was like then. Today games are made pretty easy for mass markets and you can usually save whenever you want. It was different back then. At least I notice it if playing with emulator. Save and load are in heavy use. One particular game comes to mind when talking about difficult games. Ever heard of Battletoads? Man that game was hard! I remember how me and my brother played it for hours and hours. It was hard yes but yet so fun to play. If the game is hard it still have to be fair, otherwise it will just suck. And the feeling when we defeated the final boss? Indescribable.

One of the easier ones.

I think the console and the games are still somewhere at my parents. Maybe I should take a ride at the retro train sometime. For the old time's sake.

23 comments:

  1. Battletoads! My buddy always plays that at his house and you are correct, it is a tough game. Whenever I play with emulators I try not to use save states as they ruin the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super Mario Bros is the first game i've ever played :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. suoer mario brow was the best and first game i ever played

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made some good points! And man I loved Crash Team Racing on ps1 :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone want to blow on my cartridge?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super Mario Bros is still a top game

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww battletoads! its been ages since i have seen this one. same goes with frogger, lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first system was a Sega. Yeah.. I was that guy.

    My League of Legends Blog.
    Surrender at 20
    My BM/Metal blog.
    Death with No Redemption

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never had my own NES but my best friend did at the time. We'd play Mario for sooo long. So much fun. Ahhh nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still love Super Mario (i play an emulator at work sometimes)

    +following!

    Come look at my new fishy tank.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never forget your roots brother! Love some vintage gaming!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My first console was PS1. I feel so young.... -_-

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first game I every played was a driving game on the commodore 64.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Games back then though for the nes was "nintendo hard". I nostalgia 'd .

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm from the PS1 generation, but I always loved Nintendo more. My parents wouldn't let me have a Nintendo 64, but I got a Gameboy instead. My love for Nintendo never ended, so I decided to buy a NES and SNES last year. Worth every penny. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You sir, have made me nostalgia... good job :)
    Mario =D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love retro games! It's so nostalgic thinking about staying up late with your friends playing these awesome videogames into the night.

    ReplyDelete